The topic of overwhelm came up a few times during the last group coaching sessions and I believe that at times we all feel overwhelmed and that is OK. The idea is that we don’t stay there too long. So I wrote below few of the strategies I teach my clients as we go through The Authentic, Empowered, Connected - 9 step Personal Transformation Process in the desire to thrive in life not just survive.
- Know that overwhelm means you feel powerless. Overwhelm does not only mean that you have a lot to do; it means that you also feel powerless to do it all. You are the most powerful person in your life, you are the CEO, and you say what goes on and what doesn’t. If you feel overwhelm it is because you gave your power away.
- Know that you do not need to do it all. Yes! You read it right. Keep reading. I know you must be saying that you are special because you have so many responsibilities that others don’t have. The only reason you attempt to do it all is because you think this way you will be finally able to prove you are worthy, you are capable, you are good.
- Know what is important to you. The most effective way to keep yourself balanced is to know your vision for your life and to have clear goals. When you find yourself starting to feel overwhelm, STOP and evaluate your TO DO list. Check it against your vision and your goals. Remove all items that do not bring you closer to your goals.
- Know how to say NO without feeling guilty. It’s easy for things to pile up on your plate when you don’t know how to say no. This happens when you want to please everyone but yourself, when you are not empowered. “You have to decide what your highest priorities are and have the courage—pleasantly, smilingly, nonapologetically, to say “no” to other things. And the way you do that is by having a bigger “yes” burning inside.” ― Stephen R. Covey
- Know where your energy is going. When we feel overwhelm we also feel tired, resentful and we end up doing very little which puts us even further behind, creating more overwhelm. To apply this strategy you have to become observant of where your energy is going. Are you resisting certain things? Are you resentful towards your boss or your friend that asked you to do an extra task as if they don’t know how busy you already are? It takes a lot of energy to resist and to resent. If you want to do more, use your energy wisely.
- Know how to ask for help. I hear you say “oh, no” I cannot ask for help, they will wonder what’s wrong with me, why I am not being the perfect me that can do everything with a smile (a fake smile but nevertheless a smile). It’s easy to ask for help just say these words “would you please help me with… I needed by …and I believe might take only x hours.
- Know who to ask for help. Sometimes in desperation you might ask for help but you might ask the wrong person for the wrong thing and that leads to more frustration. Develop supportive relationships, know people strengths and have a strategy for whom to ask for what help.
Your assignment for THRIVING
For the next two weeks apply the strategies in the sequence above and see how your life becomes easier to live and enjoy. If you have not yet, a good idea is to first print the report in “How to Transcend Limitations and THRIVE” ebook and keep track of your activities for a week. Post a comment bellow to let me know what works for you.
<div class="fb-comments" data-href="https://entrepreneurenlightenmentacademy.com/blog/run-your-business-like-a-business" data-numposts="5"></div>