Authenticity is the degree to which you are true to yourself, despite external pressures. It starts with knowing yourself in detail and intimately.
By being AUTHENTIC you are sure to live YOUR life the way you are MEANT to live it.
"The Death of Ivan Ilych" by Leo Tolstoy is the story of an accomplished man who on the deathbed is asking himself "What if my whole life has really been wrong?" he says: "I was going up in public opinion, but to the same extent life was ebbing away from me. And now it is all done and there is only death." In the last days of his life he ponders "Maybe I did not live as I ought to have done," it suddenly occurred to him. "But how could that be, when I did everything properly?" Yes, we can do everything properly but without authenticity we could end up in a sad situation like Ivan. We don't need to wait for a crisis situation, we can stop and ask those questions now.
Bronnie Ware a palliative care nurse recorder the following 5 top regrets of the dying:
- I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
- I wish I didn't work so hard.
- I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish that I had let myself be happier.
I believe that at least 3 of these reasons are directly linked to not being Authentic. Therefore the number one reason to discover the Authentic YOU is to live a life were you don't have regrets; to know you have achieved your unique purpose in this world.
What stands in the way of being AUTHENTIC?
- Not appreciating yourself for who you are
- Feeling that you are not good enough
- Caring too much about the opinions of others
- Behaving in a way to please others but not aligned with your values
- Taking your strengths and talents for granted
- Not taking time to understand yourself
- Believing that you have to earn love, to prove yourself
Click here to learn more about The Authentic, Empowered, Connected - 9 Step Personal Transformation Group Coaching Program.
What is your number one reason for not being Authentic? Use the comment area bellow to let me know. And don't forget to register your email to receive updates and special offers.